Is it possible to sue infringers under the GPL?

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Mar 10 14:59:47 UTC 2000

"Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M." wrote:

> Well, to be precise, one of you is confusing the common sense meaning of
> "creator" with the meaning of that term under copyright law. Creation of a
> patch does not make you a creator under copyright.

It seems to me that that depends on the substantial originality of the patch.
Some patches are almost as big as the software being patched, and introduce
large amounts of new function.  A one-line patch clearly is of no significance,
since there is no reasonable form/content division, and furthermore
it's de minimis.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>