Translated licenses?

Antoine Leca Antoine.Leca at renault.fr
Mon Aug 28 14:31:32 UTC 2000

Dear sirs,

I browse the opensource.org site, but I did not take the pain to
extensively search the archives of the list. Sorry for the annoyance
if the question have already been asked and the answer is there.
BTW, clues are welcome on how to browse the archives.

I consider lauching a (personnal) project under an OpenSource
license, hosted for example at SourceForge, but I did find only
licenses written in English. I should prefer having a French one,
not only because it is much easier for me to understand what it
means ;-), but also because as far as I understand the French
(national) law there might me instances where French (the language)
would be required as language for a contract with me and some other
French (national) beings, like govermental agencies.

For instance I remember seeing the GPL licence translated to French
<URL:http://www.april.org/gnu/gpl_french.html>, but it is prefaced
with "this version is not official, the English one is". That's fine
with me for the existing softwares, but to force me to switch to
English when I create a project is not that fine, I think.

Now with the OpenSource process, it appears to me possible to create
new license(s) in the foreign (to you) languages.

Of course, my purpose is *NOT* to create translations of the exis-
ting licenses, but rather to create another one new OpenSource license
that would happen to be written in other languages than English.
So please refrain your comments about "The Whatever License should not
be translated, it should remain in English", that is not my purpose.

I welcome your thoughts.

Antoine