Simple Public License, Please Review

Justin Wells jread at semiotek.com
Tue Apr 4 19:59:48 UTC 2000

It's been a long time since I last posted a version of this license, and it
has changed a lot since then. I thought I would post it again and get some
comments from this list.

This license lives here:

   http://shimari.com/SPL/

and will eventually be the primary license for Semiotek's software, which
so far has been under the GPL.

I'm attaching three files:

  -- an explanation of why this license exists and what it does
  -- a copy of the license
  -- some clause by clause analysis of my reasonings for the terms

I'm looking for three kinds of comments:

  -- legal problems with the license
  -- OSD compliance problems
  -- ideas on how it could be improved, strengthened, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Justin