BSD license change

Csaba Szigetvari csaba.szigetvari at citicorp.com
Wed Sep 29 14:11:20 UTC 1999

Recently I saw an article regarding some changes in the BSD license.

The article in question is published on www.freebsdrocks.com and goes
like this:
	from ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change
	July 22, 1999
	To All Licensees, Distributors of Any Version of BSD:
	As you know, certain of the Berkeley Software Distribution ("BSD")
	source code files require that further distributions of products
	containing all or portions of the software, acknowledge within their
	advertising materials that such products contain software developed
	by UC Berkeley and its contributors.

	Specifically, the provision reads:
	" 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use
	  of this software must display the following acknowledgement:
      This product includes software developed by the University of
      California, Berkeley and its contributors."

	Effective immediately, licensees and distributors are no longer
	required to include the acknowledgement within advertising
	materials. Accordingly, the foregoing paragraph of those BSD Unix
	files containing it is hereby deleted in its entirety.

                   William Hoskins
                   Director, Office of Technology Licensing
                   University of California, Berkeley

Probably not everyone is aware of this, therefore I mention it this way,
just for your information.

---Csaba Szigetvári