Copyright on Collections

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Fri Sep 24 02:45:12 UTC 1999

Quoting bruce at perens.com:
> You can copyright a compilation, yes, but I don't see how the
> copyright could be made to apply to the individual works. So, you
> could prevent someone from making a knock-off copy of Red Hat
> without restricting Linux distributions in general.

        Exactly.  You used Red Hat as an example, but I imagined that
this was what Corel was going to pull out of their hat when the
license fiasco hit the fan.

> I don't know of a single distribution that asserts a compilation
> copyright, though. It would annoy too many people.

        Naturally.  However, it would be better than doing what SuSE
did, which was to make the distribution rely on a piece of proprietary
software to run.  YaST was licensed to keep people from simply
reselling SuSE without permission.

--
((lambda (x) (list x (list (quote quote) x)))
(quote (lambda (x) (list x (list (quote quote) x)))))