Corel: No "internal" exemption in GPL

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Wed Sep 22 13:17:44 UTC 1999

This raises an interesting question:  If have a piece of GPL'ed code, and I
modify it for my internal application, putting it on a number of servers,
are you saying that just because I installed that modified code on my own
servers that I have to release it to the world?

Not disagreeing with you, but this has always been, to my understanding,
something you could do under the GPL, and if its not, then there are
probably a LOT of places stealthily violating the GPL without even
realizing it, because that's the way a lot of people have described the
GPL's functionality in the past.