Corel: No "internal" exemption in GPL

David Starner dvdeug at x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu
Wed Sep 22 13:25:04 UTC 1999

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 02:40:02AM -0400, Justin Wells wrote:
> I am worried that people seem to be getting the idea that if you
> use something for "internal development" you are somehow exempt from
> the conditions of the GPL, so long as you keep it inside your company.

The theory is that the company never distributes to anyone. It nevers
provides a proper license for its modifications, since the GPL only
restricts distribution. No one can distribute it, since both the
company code and the GPL prohibit distribution. The employees in this
case never get distributed the code, per se - it's always kept by
the company. IIRC, RMS agreed with this line of reasoning.

David Starner - dstarner98 at aasaa.ofe.org