ATT SOURCE CODE AGREEMENT Version 1.2C

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Fri Sep 10 03:50:01 UTC 1999

On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 01:35:07PM +1000, Andrew J Bromage wrote:
> I am writing an implementation of an API which is encumbered (just like
> the OpenGL API is encumbered).  To distribute an implementation, you
> must obtain a free (i.e. no money) licence from a certain company who
> holds the copyright.
>
> If I want to be able to claim that my code conforms to the API, I will
> have to obtain such a licence.  The trouble is, if I release open source,
> and someone else wants to fork the tree, they will have to obtain one too.
>
> What open source licences, if any, allow this?  Or is it impossible to
> reconcile this requirement with the OSD?

OK. The OpenGL _trademark_ can not be used unless you have a license.
However, you can program to the API without that license. The Open Source
Definition says nothing about how you license your trademarks. As long as
the _code_ can be used by someone who does not wish to use your trademark
and calls it something else, it's still Open Source. If you want to attach
a mandiatory certification program and a license to the trademark, that's
fine.

Note that even Debian has trademark restrictions.

	Thanks

	Bruce