ATT SOURCE CODE AGREEMENT Version 1.2C

Andrew J Bromage ajb at buzzword.cc.monash.edu.au
Fri Sep 10 03:35:07 UTC 1999

G'day all.

On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 03:25:48AM +0000, bruce at perens.com wrote:

> I don't understand the question. Please re-state.

Here's the Reader's Digest version:

I am writing an implementation of an API which is encumbered (just like
the OpenGL API is encumbered).  To distribute an implementation, you
must obtain a free (i.e. no money) licence from a certain company who
holds the copyright.

If I want to be able to claim that my code conforms to the API, I will
have to obtain such a licence.  The trouble is, if I release open source,
and someone else wants to fork the tree, they will have to obtain one too.

What open source licences, if any, allow this?  Or is it impossible to
reconcile this requirement with the OSD?

The rest was commentary.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage