Accusations, accusations, always accusations

Andrew J Bromage ajb at buzzword.cc.monash.edu.au
Sun Oct 24 05:13:36 UTC 1999

G'day all.

On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 12:26:36AM -0400, delirium4U wrote:

> I was under the impression that GIMP itself was part of the GNU project,

Whoops, so it is.  I didn't see GTK on the list of FSF software, so
I jumped to conclusions.  I stand corrected.

Even though I find this debate rather off-topic and would love to get
back to licence discussion, I'd be interested in seeing a true line
count of the source for some standard Linux system (say, Debian with
only the compulsory packages installed) to see what proportion of code
is in fact GNU software.  It's a non-trivial task precisely because of
the problem of determining the provenance of each sub-component of a
given package.  For example, glibc is a combination of GNU project code
plus other stuff bundled from BSD, LinuxThreads, a lot of Sun code and
recently some Mach code too.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage