[openip] Re: "rights" and "freedoms"

Robert M. Muench robert.muench at robertmuench.de
Tue Oct 19 07:29:55 UTC 1999

openip at egroups.com;
> gnu at gnu.org; graham at collector.hscs.wmin.ac.uk; fsb at crynwr.com;
> pleb at cse.unsw.edu.au; license-discuss at opensource.org;
khatib at ieee.org
> Subject: [openip] Re: "rights" and "freedoms"

> The US Patent Office is incompetent in all fields, and issues
> trivial patents habitually.
>
> If the Patent Office did a good job, perhaps patents would
> be beneficial overall in many fields.  But I am convinced
> that patents in software are inherently harmful, and would
> be harmful even if the Patent Office handled them "well".

As I have some knowledge with all these patent stuff, the only
possible way to go for us 'free fighters' is to beat them with
their own weapons. Each patent has a 3 month public period were
everyone can file an objection to a published patent. It should
be trivial to show prior art to the PTO and argue about the
triviality of the filed patent.

So why not make a patent-tracking-and-objection group, which just
does this job? I'm sure it would help a lot of people and do much
more for the community than any other project. Richard, may be
the FSF is the right place for such a watch-dog group.

Robert M. Muench, Karlsruhe, Germany
    ==> ask for PGP public-key <==

  When do you want to reboot today?

Use the free portable GUI Library