Dual Licensing

Alex Nicolaou anicolao at cgl.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Nov 28 22:55:05 UTC 1999

David Johnson wrote:

> According to the Bill Joy interview in Linux magazine, there has been a very
> good response to Sun's licensing. I suspect that the "public postings" do not
> comprise the same membership as those interested in Sun's offerings. I also
> suspect that they do not correspond well to any group at all, other than online
> posters.

Actually, I would suggest that the postings I have read correlate very
well with the opinions of GPL developers, since I am referring primarily
to opinions posted on mailing lists devoted to developing various pieces
of GPL software.

There may well be others who are much more interested in the licensing
terms. However, in one or two corporations which I've been involved with
that have considered it, I've mainly seen fear of its terms and in some
cases prohibitions upon downloading anything that isn't binary from Sun,
in spite of advocacy on my part or on the part of other technical staff.

alex