GPL and LGPL question - legal

Pat St. Jean psj at cgmlarson.com
Wed May 19 22:14:48 UTC 1999

On Wed, 19 May 1999, John Muller wrote:

>This statement might have been correct a few years ago, but the strong
>recent trend is to uphold the validity of shrinkwrap and clickwrap
>licenses.  The leading case is ProCD v. Zeidenberg in the 7th Circuit,
>http://laws.findlaw.com/7th/961139.html, but there are other recent
>decisions from the Illinois U.S. District court,
>http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/doj/y2k/sld001.htm, the Washington State
>Court of Appeals, http://www.wa.gov/COURTS/opinions/413040_O01.txt, and the
>New York Appellate Division in Brower v. Gateway 2000.

That's grat, but they don't apply to me.  I'm in the 5th Circuit.  Oh the
fun of appeals...  I wonder if any of them will make it any higher.  It'd
be nice to see some real precedent that can be applied everwhere in the
US.

Which brings up an interesting question: what are some other nations'
stances on shrink wrap licenses?

Pat

Patrick St. Jean              '97 XLH 883                psj at cgmlarson.com
Programmer & Systems Administrator                    +1 713-977-4177 x115
Larson Software Technology                        http://www.cgmlarson.com