License certification request

Kevin Kelm kevink at xvt.com
Tue Jul 6 13:57:19 UTC 1999

Hello!

[I thought I'd send this out to this list for discussion, as I have not
yet received any response from certification at opensource.org.]

We're about to release our Flashpoint Application Server Technology
product (previously commercial) to the community for free and with
open source.  Flashpoint is a web server and a web application server
and it currently focuses on the use of C and C++ in server-side code.
It can work alongside Apache, or in some instances can replace it.

The license we're hoping to use is essentially like the Apache license--
it's very open-ended and presents very few restrictions other than
the inclusion of our license itself and such.

We'd like OSI's "certification" for the license so as to be able to
invoke the name and use whatever logo they have for this sort
of thing.

We're also interested in any ideas regarding avenues of
distributing announcements about our move from commercial->OS.
... press releases, web sites, etc.

I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Thanks very much for your time,

Kevin Kelm
kkelm at bouldersoftware.com
Flashpoint Project Lead

------------------------------license-------------------------------------------

/* =======================================================================
 * Copyright (c) 1998-1999 Boulder Software Foundry.  All rights reserved.
 * Trademark rights claimed in "Boulder Software Foundry" and "Flashpoint
 * Application Server".
 *
 * are met:
 *
 *
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
 *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
 *    distribution.
 *
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
 *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
 *    "This product includes software developed by the Boulder Software Foundry
 *    for the Flashpoint Application Server project
 *    (http://www.BoulderSoftware.com/)."
 *
 * 4. The names "Flashpoint Application Server Technology" and "Boulder
 *    Software Foundry" must not be used to  endorse or promote products
 *    derived from this software without prior written permission. For
 *    written permission, please contact prodmgr at BoulderSoftware.com.
 *
 * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Flashpoint"
 *    nor may "Flashpoint" appear in their names.
 *
 * 6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
 *    acknowledgment:
 *    "This product includes software developed by the Boulder Software
 *    Foundry for the Flashpoint Application Server project
 *    (http://www.BoulderSoftware.com/)."
 *
 * 7. We request (but do not require) that bug fixes, enhancements, and
 *    new features of interest to the general public made in the Flashpoint
 *    Application Server code be submitted free of licensing and in source
 *    form to fpdev at BoulderSoftware.com.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE BOULDER SOFTWARE FOUNDRY ``AS IS'' AND
 * ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
 * PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE BOULDER SOFTWARE FOUNDRY
 * OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
 * SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
 * NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
 * LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
 * STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
 * ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED
 * OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
 * ====================================================================
 *
 * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
 * individuals on behalf of the Boulder Software Foundry and was
 * originally designed and written by Kevin Kelm and Jonah Safar.
 * For more information on the Boulder Software Foundry and the
 * Flashpoint Application Server project, please see
 * <http://www.BoulderSoftware.com/>.
 *
 */

--