XITE license

Ole Kristian Aamot oleaa at ifi.uio.no
Sun Jul 4 19:52:25 UTC 1999

I would like to use some C algoritms for image analysis - that are
implemented in a software kit, that some claim is "free software",
written by researchers employed by the Image Processing Laboratory,
at Department of Informatics, University of Oslo.

I'm an undergraduate at the Department of Matematics, and the co-
developer of gPhoto, the GNU digital camera utility in GNOME CVS.

One of the CS researchers, Svein Bøe, claims that their license is
"not the same as the GNU GPL".  (That should mean I can't use it?)

[ From ftp://ftp.ifi.uio.no/pub/blab/xite/COPYRIGHT ]

        XITE
        $Id: COPYRIGHT,v 1.3 1998/06/30 13:02:03 svein Exp $
        Copyright 1990-1998, Blab, UiO
        Image processing laboratory, Department of Informatics
        University of Oslo
        E-mail: blab at ifi.uio.no

  Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and its
  documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
  provided that this copyright notice appear in all copies and that
  both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
  documentation and that the name of Blab, Department of Informatics or
  University of Oslo not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining
  to distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission.

  BLAB DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL
  IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL BLAB
  BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
  WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION
  OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
  CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

EOF

I don't really understand why a research project should stop
development of GNU software - if the proper credit is given?

I realize it is a BSD license - but I just want to know how
it (in theory) could be changed to comform with the GNU GPL.

I have studied the sources, but I'm unable write an implementation
myself without indirectly or partly using XITE sources & routines.

I don't know the mighty research theory behind them sources.  Yet.

Thanks.

--
   _
 _| ~-   Ole Kristian Aamot <ole at gnu.org>, Oslo, Norway