[CAVO] Online contracts and voting

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sun Jun 5 15:31:04 UTC 2016

Finally, an online discussion here rather than merely quotes from
newspapers! :-)

Juan Gilbert wrote:

> Taxes, banking, etc, allow you to verify your data. If your account
balance is wrong, you can verify it and take action. Voting is the opposite,
you are not allowed to verify your ballot. This is why we need a physical
ballot that can be hand counted that is not attached to a single voter.

Yes, and that is why I suggested, in my previous email, that both the voter
and the county print and email the anonymous ballot (with unique bar code,
perhaps), so that it can be hand counted if necessary in an audit. I'm not
qualified to design an unbreakable system - just a better system.

> Sorry, but it's a fact, electronic ballots can be hacked and you would
never know it.

I am not naive. I own lots of hackable devices on which I perform essential
tasks much more important than voting. And by way of comparison, I just
voted by paper ballot and mail in California, a system that could trivially
be hacked if someone really wanted to.

I joined this project because we advocate open source. Even Linux inside a
heart-lung machine can be hacked, but I expect our community to see that and
complain, and fix the hacks.

/Larry

Any 100% electronic voting can be manipulated. If you have an electronic
voting system, I can guarantee you it can be hacked, meaning the outcome of
the election can be changed undetected.

Taxes, banking, etc, allow you to verify your data. If your account balance
is wrong, you can verify it and take action. Voting is the opposite, you are
not allowed to verify your ballot. This is why we need a physical ballot
that can be hand counted that is not attached to a single voter.

Rocket science is actually easier than voting.

Sorry, but it's a fact, electronic ballots can be hacked and you would never
know it. You would suspect something was hacked because of the outcome but
you couldn't prove anything. I don't think anyone wants that scenario.

If any of you know if an electronic system that can't be hacked, please let
me know.

Thanks,

---

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2016, at 12:58 AM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen at rosenlaw.com
<mailto:lrosen at rosenlaw.com> > wrote:

David, thanks for continuing this thread. It is good that this CAVO list
discusses actual solutions to real-world California voting problems rather
than merely share our fears and newspaper press releases.

I want a very simple replacement for the error-prone and insecure paper
ballot that I used this week to pick our president. I hear that the majority
of California voters vote this way by mail. There is NOTHING about this
system that prevents any of the evil frauds and corruption that you expect
from businesses and politicians, so be scared about our current third world
voting system.

I want something simpler:

?       I want to receive an electronic ballot at my email address on my
computer or mobile device. That's how the county and the U.S. government
currently deal with me for almost everything else of significance, including
my taxes!

?       I want to vote at my leisure.

?       I want to print out and/or save my completed ballot. I'll keep it
secret if I want to or show my friends.

?       I want to send my ballot electronically to the county. (Yesterday I
placed my completed paper ballot in a metal box in front of the county
offices - with no security or auditability whatsoever. I am now paranoid!)

?       I want the county to email me a confirmation and a copy of my
completed ballot.

?       I want the county to process my ballot on election day.

?       I want this entire procedure to be auditable with email addresses,
PINs, or whatever the kind of technology our Facebook and LinkedIn friends
are willing to accept for security.

If we can't do that without sending astronauts to Mars, then your technology
solution is perhaps way too complex and paranoid. :-)

/Larry