[CAVO] Online contracts and voting

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Jun 2 21:54:19 UTC 2016

David Webber wrote:

> Please send money and we can engineer this for you.

Such unreasonable paranoia about voting!

I have on my desk right now two signed and sealed ballots for the California primary next week. I know that my partner voted for a different candidate than I did. I'm going to walk into the County office and drop these two ballots, probably unmodified :-), into a wooden box on their counter. Somehow our votes will be counted by some machine that reads ink in bubbles. Results next Tuesday. Perhaps some of our votes will count.

And so our president will be chosen!

Please don't waste your design time engineering a solution for problems I don't have. Just give me a simple way to vote – securely and with a trusted record – more effectively and cheaply than those two silly envelopes on my desk.

BTW, in Kenya almost all financial transactions are made through ordinary cell phones with passwords. And even here, in the U.S., my bank will accept deposits sent through pictures of signed checks from my phone. But we're much more paranoid here, especially about voting.

/Larry