[CAVO] Fwd: [VVSG-interoperability] [VVSG-election] Single Point of Failure - the Scan Head - RE: By November, Russian hackers could target voting machines

Brent Turner turnerbrentm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 03:28:57 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brent Turner <turnerbrentm at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: [VVSG-interoperability] [VVSG-election] Single Point of
Failure - the Scan Head - RE: By November, Russian hackers could target
voting machines
To: Gregory Miller <gmiller at osetfoundation.org>
Cc: Tim Mayer <timbmayer at gmail.com>, Alan Dechert <dechert at gmail.com>,
Brigette Hunley <brigette.hunley at gmail.com>, Alec Bash <alec.bash at gmail.com>,
"legal at osetfoundation.org" <legal at osetfoundation.org>, Brian Fox <
bfox at opuslogica.com>, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen at rosenlaw.com>

Greg, you wrote, "You really are something. The document you cite (
http://openvoting.org/ad/gao-p51.pdf) is to a GAO document issued September
21st 2005, two years before the OSET Foundation was founded.  Come on. "

This is the whole point. You posture as a pioneer in the movement, and you
are not. The heavy lift for open source voting was long before you got
involved.

When I recognized that open source voting was a great idea -- in 2004 -- I
did a little research to find out who was doing it. It took about one
minute on google to find out who was leading the charge, namely Open Voting
Consortium. So, I joined up with that effort.

I've seen this many times since I joined the effort: instead of joining,
some have tried to take over the movement. You are one of many in this
category. Alan Dechert has told me about many other such experiences from
2001 to 2004.

I also know that Lou Montulli -- former Netscape -- briefly joined the
effort in 2003, and discussed it with Mitch Kapor. Kiniry seems competent,
too, but so are a lot of others. And I never heard anything of Kiniry
before about 2012 -- a real newcomer who wants to posture as the authority
on the subject. Why you or he would attack me as the messenger is simply
bizarre.

Of course, The real scientists and OS community members  don't like all the
obstructions. They'd  rather have people join us rather than throw marbles
under our feet. I have extended many opportunities to you and Kapor.. but
have only been met with showboating and resistance.  I remember your story
about discarding  new Mercedes cars at airports and I am not impressed with
your wealth or supposed power.

Still, we'd prefer that you support our efforts rather than undermine the
efforts of the real pioneers in this movement.

BT