[CAVO] Fwd: Re: [License-review] [Was: Submission of OSET Public License for Approval] -- National Security and Public Policy (3.5B and 4)

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Sep 15 16:27:03 UTC 2015

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab®|PRO

-------- Original message --------
From: Richard Fontana <fontana at sharpeleven.org>
Date:09/15/2015  8:54 AM  (GMT-08:00)
To: License submissions for OSI review <license-review at opensource.org>
Subject: Re: [License-review] [Was: Submission of OSET Public License for

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 02:34:06AM +0000, Meeker, Heather J. wrote:
> §   3.5B Application of Additional Terms. We allowed additional conditions
> specifically to address national security or public interest concerns as well
> as state and federal procurement regulations. This is an important aspect of
> the unique target audience for this license – federal, state, county, and/or
> municipal elections administration agencies.
>
> § 4 Inability to Comply Due to Statute or Regulation.  We added national
> security and necessity of public interest to the list of circumstances due to
> which the licensee may be unable to comply with the terms of the license.

Is OSET contemplating that software distributed under the OSET Public
License along with section 3.5 B conditions will be in all cases
describable as 'Open Source', assuming approval of the OSET PL by the
OSI?

I'm a little concerned about the potential for commercially-motivated
open-washing here.

Richard