[CAVO] Online voting

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Oct 16 18:37:20 UTC 2015

CAVO developers:

One of the advantages of open source software is that it is free to be
improved by anyone who wants to.

The San Francisco report (San Francisco Local Agency Formation Commission
entitled "Study on Open Source Voting Systems") does not support online
voting at this time for reasons relating to security and legal
certification. But there is no reason why an open source project can't
develop online voting tools for our own uses.

For example, the Apache membership votes every year for a board of directors
and for new members. They already trust email from specific email addresses.
They already trust online voting. They and/or we can create an open source
online voting module for ourselves regardless of what government agencies
are yet prepared to trust.

CAVO can support a variety of open source projects.

/Larry

P.S. The existing Apache ALv2 license is also acceptable to government
agencies, and it is already compatible with both GPLv3 and MPLv2 licenses!
:-)