[CAVO] Study on Open Source Voting Systems

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Oct 16 18:13:37 UTC 2015

In an email to this list on 9/7/2015, Heather Meeker wrote:

> You ask a good question:   As to whether the OSET license will facilitate
more use of open source software in elections -- we hope so, but of course,
reasonable people can differ on the most effective way to promote adoption
of open source software in this key area.

I believe we need to reassure everyone on this license-review@ list that
there is no obvious reluctance in most government departments about the
adoption of open source software under existing licenses such as GPLv3 and
MPLv2.

For those curious about this technology, I'm attaching a PDF of a final
report by the San Francisco Local Agency Formation Commission entitled
"Study on Open Source Voting Systems." You will see that there are important
legal and certification requirements in California, but nothing at all that
will prevent open source.

/Larry

P.S. At some point we will probably be eating our own dogfood, voting in our
own FOSS organizations using our own open source elections software with the
same ease that we use Linux and Firefox.