[CAVO] [License-discuss] SF - LAFCO open source voting draft

Patrick Masson masson at opensource.org
Wed May 27 15:53:26 UTC 2015

I would also add that OSI approval creates trust. OSI approval assures
those who may not have the legal understanding or resources that the
software they are reviewing affords all of the opportunities of the OSD.
It is much easier for organizations to check if some software is "open
source," guaranteeing the software freedom they seek, by reviewing the
OSI approved licenses than it would be to review each individual license
to assess if it is OSD compliant. I'm confident there are other licenses
that comply with the OSD, but I'm not confident I or previous
organizations I have worked for are competent in determining that. Thus
I would rely on the OSI list.

In addition, I would also point to examples were a proposed license's
wording was enhanced through the review process. That is, even if the
license was OSD compliant, ambiguity was avoided through contributions,
questions, suggestions of the community. The value of pointing to OSI
Approved licenses isn't simply about protecting/promoting the OSI or our
vision, it is about providing a nexus of trust and quality.