[CAVO] GPL license conversation

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue May 12 01:29:09 UTC 2015

Hi Lauren,

There is a simple distinction: The OPL is not an approved open source license; the others are. I used to be general counsel for Open Source Initiative, so I know this distinction is critical to the open source community. You can't call it open source if the license is not formally approved by OSI.

I'm also a member of Apache Software Foundation and I love the Apache License. I believe personally, however, that a reciprocal license would be better for election software, for which I recommended GPLv3. I published an article about this that Brent can forward to you.

Please let me know of any further questions or concerns. Open source licensing is a frequent topic in my law practice and open source election and voting software is my latest passion.

In any event, I'd love to see questions like yours on the CAVO@ list. Please join us here:

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw & Einschlag ( <http://www.rosenlaw.com/> www.rosenlaw.com)