[beyond-licensing] quick review of scope, resources, and goals

Brian Behlendorf brian at behlendorf.com
Wed Apr 20 21:54:01 UTC 2016

More of a DRM and DMCA story than anything else, but of course
antithetical to Open Source:

https://boingboing.net/2015/05/13/john-deere-of-course-you-ow.html

we did win a partial victory on this in November, but only to inspect
software on vehicles, not modify or jailbreak:

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2015/11/09/copyright-office-dmca-exemptions-for-automotive-software-jailbreaking-smart-tvs/id=62834/

The fight for open source farm equipment continues!  I keep hoping this
project will take off:

http://opensourceecology.org/gvcs/

What can we do to help?

Brian