[License-discuss] Weak copyleft license with network use requirement?
viatrix-26278 at purelymail.com
viatrix-26278 at purelymail.com
Sat Sep 5 19:04:24 UTC 2026
Hello license-discuss,
Is there a license or combination of licenses which apply to the
following situation, and if not, would it be a good idea to create such
a license?
Situation: Someone writes a software library, wishes to mandate its
source code be available to users including users over a network (à la
AGPL), but otherwise wishes to make it weak-copyleft.
I cannot find a license which would always satisfy this.
Licenses I have considered but which may present problems:
• AGPL with a classpath exception: Potential for incompatibility if the
library itself includes code under a license incompatible with AGPL.
• EUPL: Potential for a derived work to no longer be beholden to the
network use requirement.
If creating a new license would be a good idea, I was thinking a
modification of the MPL 2.0 would work.
More information about the License-discuss
mailing list