[License-discuss] Question about Blue Oak License

Shuji Sado shujisado at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 02:48:20 UTC 2024

Hi,

https://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2023-December/005452.html
> • Lucas: “While attempting to be maximally permissive in as few words as possible, the copyright license does not consider potentially non-licenseable aspects of copyright such as moral rights.” This is a fair point, though as a practical matter I’ve never seen moral rights come up in the software context (and Carlo’s response suggests they may not even be applicable).

It seems that license-review ml discussed the possibility of
personality rights issues in the Blue Oak license.  However, the above
conclusion was not accurate. Yes, software is certainly subject to
moral rights in Japan.

In Japan, almost all software developers sign a non-exercise agreement
of their moral rights with the company to which they belong. This has
been the practice in the software industry for decades. There is also
a history of Japanese government agencies participating in the work to
develop GPLv3 on the premise that programs are subject to moral
rights.

To summarize the discussion so far, the Blue Oak license is not open
source, at least not in Japan. It is possible for an author to
exercise author's moral rights to stop third parties from modifying
the program.

 I think license-review ml is for approval review, not for removal
from the list...

---
Shuji Sado
Chairman, Open Source Group Japan