[License-discuss] Question about Blue Oak License

Matija Šuklje matija at suklje.email
Wed Mar 13 20:34:39 UTC 2024

Dne sreda, 13. marec 2024 ob 14:46:23 CET je Shuji Sado napisal(a):
> Moral rights, however, cannot be transferred.
[…]
> In other words, it seems to me that an author who releases software
> under this license can stop users from distributing or modifying the
> software at any time.

In Slovenia, just as most of (continental) Europe, we have moral rights as
well, so this does intrigue me.

As moral rights are a collection of different rights of an author that are
bound to his person, the question that poses to me is which moral right
specifically could cause issue here.

Typically that would be the right to _integrity_ (which could equate to
modification) – but at least under Slovenian law, this specific moral right
explicitly does not apply to software.

The two that (under Slovenian law) remain applicable also for software are:

Right of _divulgence_ / first publication – this would be an issue with any
license, and work of authorship, if it was violated. Would be interesting to
see an example play out in practice, how someone managed to get their code
published without their consent. Nothing the license can do here.

Right of _authorship_ / paternity – this is probably the only moral right that
could be violated. But since it’s a right, first the author would need to make
use of it and demand authorship (e.g. as simple as putting their name in the
code). And for it to be violated, someone (presumably under the pretence of
the license) would need to remove it.

So, I agree that the Blue Oak Model License ignores the concept of moral
rights, and it would probably be prudent¹ to explicitly state that any
notifications of authorship etc. should not be removed.

Other then that, I have a hard time finding a way how moral rights – at least
under Slovenian jurisdiction – would break the license.

Would love to hear more thoughts though, and am intrigued if this would play
out differently in Japan.

kind regards,
Matija
—
1    Unfortunately, a common oversight of US-based license drafters.
--
gsm:    tel:+386.41.849.552
www:    https://matija.suklje.name
xmpp:   hook at campfire.wheremymonkeyis.at