[License-discuss] What's wrong with the AGPL?

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Thu Jun 13 22:29:51 UTC 2024

Hello everyone,

I wrote this email three times and discarded it; I simply don't know how
to ask.

Final try. If I believe various representatives (on Twitter and
elsewhere) of companies like AWS, they believe they can use AGPL
licensed code and the copyleft effect is wholly contained/doesn't affect
their tech stack at all. Those who pushed source-available seem to
agree; the SSPL was an attempt to a better copyleft license in the eyes
of their creators, irrespective of this list's conclusion that it was a
discriminatory license.

Why is that? I look at the definition of "modified code" in the AGPL
license texts and to me it seems to do the trick (copyleft effect). I
find the explanation of conveyance to users less clear i.e. how the
traditional distribution is defined.

Is there any recognized published statement that explains whether the
AGPL achieves a network copyleft effect as intended or not? And if the
conclusion is that it doesn't what's the alternative if you want this
effect?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Dirk

--