[License-discuss] License-discuss Digest, Vol 133, Issue 3

Josh Berkus josh at berkus.org
Tue Feb 6 18:41:30 UTC 2024

On 2/5/24 08:38, Daniel Mihai wrote:
> AI-OAL Section 4
> 4. Environmental Responsibility Clause
> You must use The Product in a way that positively contributes to
> environmental conservation and sustainability.
> You shall not use The Product in any way that significantly harms the
> environment, as determined at the discretion of the Organization.
>
> We are happy to remove the restriction of use for positive ecological
> conservation and sustainability, yet we are not happy to allow usage of
> the product for means that significantly harms the environment - as this
>   would go against our companies values/mission/vision.
>
> Can you please let us know how best we can amend Section 4 in a way that
>   is compliant with ODS 6?

There is no method or wording which allows you to reconcile these two
incompatible goals.

OSD6 exists because it's not possible for software to be open source
while restricting what industries or purposes it's used in.  A lot of us
would love to see a workable legal framework for ethical open source
licenses, but there simply isn't one.  And folks have been trying for
quite some time.

That's not to say that you can't use this license.  You can, and you
should, given your company's mission.  It just won't be open source.

--
Josh Berkus