[License-discuss] Open Source license question

Justin Clift justin at postgresql.org
Sun Apr 7 03:37:07 UTC 2024

> Hi all!
>
> I am an open source project maintainer and I was referred to this
> mailing list recently as a good place to ask questions.
>
> I was recently told by a community member that I should not be using
> the term "Open Source" as it has legal implications and the project
> doesn't fully embrace that term.

For a more complete discussion, this is the current form of the license
in question:

https://github.com/caprover/caprover/blob/f9d880e8c3b56adfd0778aed105587c63b599db8/LICENSE

With the complete text being:

     Copyright 2017-2023 Kasra Bigdeli

     Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
     you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
     You may obtain a copy of the License at

     WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
implied.
     limitations under the License.

     Appendix:
     In case of a conflict, the terms of this appendix supersede the
general apache license.

     -   Unless provided with a written agreement, the paid features of
CapRover (as a service) cannot be modified.
     -   Unless provided with a written agreement, no persons are
permitted to redistribute another paid version of CapRover.
     -   Furthermore, any modifications of free features of CapRover
should be distributed as free & opensource software.

     If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us.

     For terms and conditions of the software and the service, please see
TERMS_AND_CONDITIONS.md

The "Appendix" on the end there has the additional terms people are
concerned about.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift