[License-discuss] Asking Eligibility to apply license for Python Package

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Sep 6 14:37:28 UTC 2023

On 05/09/2023 11:51, CS with BHARGAB wrote:
> Hello,
> I have written a python package which is globally accessible from
> pypi.org <http://pypi.org/>. you can visit the python package by the
> following link:
> https://pypi.org/project/chi-final/ <https://pypi.org/project/chi-final/>
> I want to know if I can apply for an Open Source License?
> Note: I am using the MIT license for initial upload purposes. But can I
> have a separate license for this package?

I'm not clear what you are asking.  Are you saying you want to create a
new set of licence conditions, or are you saying can you apply a
different, existing set to the software?  (Although one talks about the
MIT licence one really means the MIT licence conditions; the actual
licence is the statement that those conditions apply.)

If you mean a new set of conditions, that is very unlikely unless you
can demonstrate that they fill a hole not covered by existing sets of
conditions.  There is a problem of licence condition proliferation, and
new sets of conditions are difficult to get approved.

If you are saying can you relicense the software under a new set of
conditions, the answer is, if you own all the copyrights, and the new
licence is otherwise compatible, yes you can.  If you don't own all the
copyrights, you would need to consult a lawyer, although, if everything
uses the MIT terms, that may be straightforward.