[License-discuss] Query on "delayed open source" licensing

Roland Turner roland at rolandturner.com
Thu Oct 26 04:01:27 UTC 2023

(replying on list as this seems in scope for license-discuss, although
it clearly wouldn't be for license-review)

This is in an interesting question and one that I've been thinking about
lately (in particular as a potential talk for FOSSASIA 2024) because of
the recent rush of half-baked "open-source companies" going through the
transition to reality.

Two examples stand out for me:

  * The informal agreement between RMS and the author of Ghostscript to
    always make a copyleft version available, and the latter's decision
    to keep the promise by making his commercial releases available
    under a copyleft license 12 months later. This is a non-enforceable
    promise to RMS rather than to licensees, but the outcome is similar.
    I don't know the current status of this practice.
  * The MariaDB Business Source License, which includes an additional
    "Change License" grant in the original license; this latter grant
    comes into effect automatically for each release on its fourth
    anniversary, and includes at licensee's option at least Gnu GPLv2+.
      o This came to my attention as a result of HashiCorp's recent
        adoption of it for most of their code. It appears at first
        glance that their BSL is not identical to MariaDB's, but the
        intention appears to be the same.

- Roland