[License-discuss] Evaluating the Enforceability of a License Should Not be a Criteria for OSI License Review

Nicholas Matthew Neft Weinstock nweinsto at qti.qualcomm.com
Wed Oct 25 23:47:20 UTC 2023

That's a really interesting way of looking at it:

In order to be within the OSD, the license needs to be actually capable of granting the necessary rights/licenses.

That's certainly true in other contexts.  If the license only grants the right to COPY but not MODIFY or DISTRIBUTE, it doesn't grant the rights necessary to satisfy the OSD.

The same makes sense in the question of enforceability.  If the license is not able to grant the necessary rights because it is unenforceable, how can it grant the rights necessary to satisfy the OSD?

On the other hand, the difficulty in this analysis is that some matters of enforceability might change over time.  If a provision was enforceable when OSI approved the license, and then the law changed and it is no longer enforceable, does the license status change?  How would that be identified, determined and enforced?  Or if a license was rejected due to lack of enforceability, and then the law caught up and the relevant provision is suddenly enforceable, would it be eligible for reconsideration?

Maybe there are two sub-categories of "enforceability."  So if a provision is so poorly written as to be unenforceable, that's something to consider.  But if a provision is written well and it's a question of legality, this should not be considered.

-Nick