[License-discuss] Does this license combination make (legal) sense?

Josh Berkus josh at berkus.org
Wed Oct 25 20:29:12 UTC 2023

I ran across this[1], which is apparently a popular license disclaimer
in the Rust community:

 > Licensed under either of Apache License, Version 2.0 or MIT license
at your option.
 > Unless you explicitly state otherwise, any contribution intentionally
submitted for inclusion in this crate by you, as defined in the
Apache-2.0 license, shall be dual licensed as above, without any
additional terms or conditions.

... this doesn't seem like it's legally valid to my non-lawyer eyes.
For example, if someone was using the code under the MIT license, then
presumably they wouldn't enjoy any of the APL's patent claim
protections.  And, if you were a downstream recipient of the code, how
would you know what license you were receiving it under?

Am I missing something here?

[1]: https://crates.io/crates/syn

--
Josh Berkus