[License-discuss] Query on "delayed open source" licensing

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Nov 1 13:19:10 UTC 2023

Well that's unfortunate.  Consider that anybody who is developing open
source software in a cathedral manner is doing a form of delayed open
source. The only difference is that they don't distribute the version
under development. I think people's dislike of delayed Open Source is
the anti-market bias. You see this bias in organ donation as well. It's
illegal to buy an organ from someone in the US, even a kidney. You can
compensate them for their expenses, but nothing more. Why? Anti-market
bias. Same thing for blood. You can get a gift of nominal value, but you
otherwise are making a donation to the Red Cross who, by the way, sells
your blood. Clearly somebody got an exemption.

Another lesson in economics from the Angry Economist, because
understanding economics is like a superpower.