[License-discuss] Network copyleft license without requiring 'Installation Information'

Kevin P. Fleming lists.osi-license-discuss at kevin.km6g.us
Mon May 22 10:33:34 UTC 2023

On Sun, May 21, 2023, at 04:20, Wiebe Cazemier wrote:
> For a network server project, I currently use the AGPLv3 because
> network-copyleft is important to me. I never gave the Installation
> Information requirement much thought, but now there's interest from a
> hardware manufacturer to include the software. I have written up a
> draft of the required AGPLv3 exception, but I'm troubled by it.

So the hardware manufacturer wants to embed the AGPLv3-licensed software, presumably will comply with the license terms and offer 'complete corresponding source' to the recipients of the hardware, but won't provide information to them to allow them to replace or upgrade the software installed in the hardware?

That defeats a major tenet of the 'software freedom' aspects of the license.