[License-discuss] License Consistency Working Group, call for volunteers

Stefano Maffulli stefano at opensource.org
Tue Jun 27 17:26:15 UTC 2023

On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 4:26 PM Thorsten Glaser <tg at mirbsd.de> wrote:

> I question that the OSI uses such a proprietary thing anyway.

I understand it, it's a known issue and technical debt we carry.

This topic pops up often and I repeat the answer here: OSI has a very
limited budget, we can't afford to hire an IT manager. This limits our
ability to add more tools to our operations. More tools, more security
issues, more privacy issues, more GDPR and cookies to track, more privacy
policies to update... We're not "simply" using some other tool just because
some people don't like/want to use this or that service. We'll use the
infrastructure we already have because tech migrations are expensive and at
a lower priority than the program work we're doing.

One of these days I'll have time to describe more publicly our tiny IT
infrastructure since most of it is open source, anyway and we don't get
credit for it.

Once we'll have a $1M operating budget, we'll be able to hire a full time
IT manager to manage migrations to other, open source tools.

If you want to join the working group without filling in the form, you can
email Josh directly and I'm sure he'll be able to loop you in.

Cheers,
stef