[License-discuss] License Consistency Working Group, call for volunteers

Josh Berkus josh at berkus.org
Mon Jun 26 22:25:00 UTC 2023

Fellow licensing enthusiasts:

As some of you know, OSI currently has a legal intern reviewing all of
our data on approved licenses on our website and elsewhere.  In some
cases, this might result in the discovery of licenses whose pedigree or
approval status isn't entirely clear, or are inconsistent with our
current understanding of the OSD.

As such, the OSI Board is forming a committee, the License Consistency
Working Group[1], to evaluate and recommend how inconsistent licenses,
if any, be treated. If you are interested in contributing to this
effort, please fill out this application:

https://forms.gle/DVNrLk7A5hX1YAfG6

Applicants should be open source or legal practitioners with significant
experience dealing with open source licenses, and must be familiar with
both the Open Source Definition and the License Review approval process.
  Work will take approximately one year, and will include review of
license text, research into license usage and adoption, and discussions
of policy and practical actions.  Volunteers should expect to be part of
the LCWG for its entire course of work barring unexpected life changes.
LCWG members may take part in confidential discussions.

Three to six committee members will be selected by the Board.

[1] Charter:
https://wiki.opensource.org/bin/Working-Groups-Incubator-Projects/License%20Consistency%20Working%20Group/

--
Josh Berkus