[License-discuss] OSI definition

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Jan 19 20:38:04 UTC 2021

On 1/16/21 7:05 PM, Mat K. Witts wrote:
> It features one added restriction that only applies to legal entities having shareholders entitled to receive dividends from profits and employing more people than the license allows.

Not open source. We have approved licenses which give some people
greater freedom than others. However, absent that clause, the license
complied with the OSD, and so was approved. I don't remember which one
it was, however.

If you want to discriminate against greedy corporations, you should give
everyone else more freedom than them. The Open Source philosophy allows
for that. For example, you could require them to change the name of the
software if they modify and redistribute it, but not require that of
anyone else.