[License-discuss] OSI definition

Gil Yehuda tenorgil at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 22:08:54 UTC 2021

I’m wondering if this license is OSD compliant by accident. Re-read the
initial question on this thread and you’ll see that this license does not
say what the author seems to wish it did.

Meaning: I don’t see how this license (as written) prevents employees at a
Big Company from using the code to build software that provides profit to
the shareholders. The restrictions (as written and explained to this list)
only apply to *legal entities with shareholders and employees,* but does
not apply to people. As explained explicitly, any group of people can use
code licensed under Leftcopy for any endeavor. A team of engineers at any
company can use the code under the terms of the license, for anything they
please. They can make a product for profit. Only the company itself can’t
use the code.

This license seems to be snagged by the anthropomorphism we tend to use
when we talk about companies. We say things like “Google decided to...”
when in fact a _person_ employed there, with the authority granted by
_another person,_ decided something. This license makes it clear that all
people can use the code. Employees are people. Companies are legal
entities, they don’t use code, they don’t eat, they don’t decide things.
They are concepts. Silly? Maybe, but that’s what the question we were posed
asks us to find in the text.

Even the last line of the license only asks to acknowledge that the work
was not designed, licensed or intended for use by any Big Company — but
engineers employed there can still use the code.

I’m not suggesting the OSI consider this license as an open source
candidate. I’m suggesting that if employees at Big Companies encounter code
licensed under this license, they can be glad they are people, and people
get to use this code for whatever they wish.

Gil Yehuda