[License-discuss] License of open source licenses (the legal texts)?

Dirk RIEHLE dirk at riehle.org
Tue Aug 31 20:10:05 UTC 2021

>> I was trying to track down the license of the Apache 2.0 license (the legal
>> text). The best I could find was this
>>
>> https://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#mod-license

> FWIW, the apache.org website footer says "Copyright © 2021 The Apache
> Software Foundation, Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0."
> I recall one longtime Apache Software Foundation figure saying that
> content on the website was by default licensed under the Apache
> License 2.0.
Thanks! Makes sense, though my engineering sensibilities assumed generic
footers refer to the frame only and that there is a separate content license.

For me, Apache was an example. How about MIT? I just looked at the GPLv2 and
it is confused. The footer says no change, the FAQ says limited change.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

Thanks anyway, probably this is more an academic interest of mine.

It does relate to how to identify license texts in license clearance
activities, though. So, Apache-2.0 can be identified as Apache-2.0 but
GPL-2.0-or-later has a proprietary license.

Cheers, Dirk

--
Website: https://dirkriehle.com - Twitter: @dirkriehle
Ph (DE): +49-157-8153-4150 - Ph (US): +1-650-450-8550