[License-discuss] CPAL 1.0 License | Badge-ware | Clarification

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 16:31:35 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 11:44 AM McCoy Smith <mccoy at lexpan.law> wrote:

> FSF’s definition of what is a free software license includes badgeware licenses (because such licenses still meet the 4 software freedoms), but they also do not recommend use of badgeware licenses.  See the comment on the 4-clause BSD:
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OriginalBSD

I wouldn't consider 4-clause BSD to be badgeware. Badgeware, to me,
refers to a license that requires display of some sort of
sufficiently-annoying branding or graphical attribution in the user
interface of the software.

FSF has recognized some arguably-badgeware licenses as free software
licenses, such as CPAL.
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#CPAL

Richard