[License-discuss] REMOVE AAL from list of approved licenses

Josh Berkus josh at berkus.org
Fri Mar 27 03:01:34 UTC 2020

On 3/26/20 7:48 PM, McCoy Smith wrote:
> If AAL is a candidate for removal, should *all* licenses which have that
> sort of attribution requirement also be removed?

If you know of other licenses we passed with badgeware requirements,
please name them.  Because yes, they should all be candidates for removal.

Note that, for example, the GPLv3 requirement isn't a "badgeware"
requirement, because it gives makers of derivative works flexibility in
exactly how the software is attributed.  One of the chief problems with
badgeware requirements like the AAL is that it effectively prevents
downstream developers from ever removing the GUI from the program, or
from running it on an embedded system (thus violating OSD6 and/or OSD10).

--
Josh Berkus