[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sun Mar 22 03:37:34 UTC 2020

Gil Yehuda wrote:

*	But am I responsible for your actions? Was I a knowing and willing participant? Did I fail to act in a reasonable manner to stop the crime? I'm sure there are lots of great questions that lawyers here can expound upon. But open source licenses have limitations of warranty text -- that might protect me from some claims, maybe not all. Again, a good legal question.

This answers that legal question in OSL 3.0:

15) Right to Use. You may use the Original Work in all ways not otherwise restricted or conditioned by this License or by law, and Licensor promises not to interfere with or be responsible for such uses by You.

Ethics is explicitly not the business of this open source license. For a simple example, this is why we don’t concern the license with exportability of the software conditioned by national laws.

/Larry