[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Mar 21 02:35:53 UTC 2020

On 3/20/20 7:02 PM, Tobie Langel wrote:
> I’m reporting on a point of view commonly held within the community.
That view has always existed. Some people don't want to delegate the
name "open source" to the OSI. Never have, never will. Their presence in
the community shouldn't deter us from representing the interests of the
rest of the community. At this point, attempting to profit from software
published under a non-certified license and calling it "Open Source" is
probably fraud. In order to get a precedent set, you would need someone
with deep pockets, hard opinions, and a source of money other than
software they give away at no cost.