[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 13:00:00 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:24 PM Tobie Langel <tobie at unlockopen.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I wasn't clear enough, sorry. I believe the OSI should seek to be
> broadly representative of the overall open source community and the broader
> population which is affected by open source.

Honest question, but how are you defining "overall open source community"
in a way that it includes people that don't already agree with the core
values that define open source?

It might be that the people who don't yet agree with these core values are
part of a different community that should be looking for a different name
to label themselves.  It is that community that should be researching
whether authors discriminating against other individuals or groups is
helpful or harmful toward their intended goals.

It is clearly possible to be using OSI approved licenses for your project,
or using OSI licensed software, and yet not be part of the open source
community.   It is one of our core values that we don't discriminate that
way, and do not require that you agree with the principles that brings us
together in order for you to participate in the production and use of OSI
licensed software.