[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Kevin P. Fleming kevin+osi at km6g.us
Thu Mar 19 15:52:31 UTC 2020

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:44 AM Gil Yehuda via License-discuss
<license-discuss at lists.opensource.org> wrote:

> tl;dr: What about the classification "Source-available" is insufficient for the Ethical Source movement such that changing the OSD is seen as a benefit? Why not proceed developing and enhancing the Ethical Source movement materials and work with the Source-available movement to refine their categories such that Ethical Source is best understood as a source-available scheme? I believe that's what it seeks to be.

I'm not obligated to guess, but I'll offer two possibilities:

1) "Open Source" has significant brand value.

2) "Source Available" is very commonly the model chosen by proprietary
software companies who want to make the source code available but
don't allow distribution, don't accept contributions, etc. That's
pretty far from the 'open source development' methodology.