[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 18 19:15:16 UTC 2020

Quoting McCoy Smith (mccoy at lexpan.law):

> So the claim that Josh or anyone from OSI has the ability to give
> better data than that which the election results page shows everyone
> (or at least everyone eligible to vote) would seem to be false.

Just to be clear in case there's confusion, such claims must have come
from someone else, and definitely _not_ me.  Lacking access to the
Helios results page (which is what I infer you mean by 'election results
page'), I looked at reported statistics on OSI's Drupal site
(https://opensource.org/node/1049), which stats I assume accurate.

Helios seems like a very meritorious intermediary for collecting and
attesting to votes.  I am guessing that 'block vote' (aka multiple
non-transferable vote) voting algorithm then gets applied to the
Helios-curated data by OSI's esteemed staff.  (A very quick look at
Helios[1], plus skimming the related Wikipedia page[2], suggests they
merely tabulate and certify, which I am not denigrating in any way and
is valuable indeed, but then application of a Helios-user-applied voting
algorithm would then be a separate step.)

[1] https://github.com/benadida/helios-booth
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Voting

--
Cheers,                   "You can't do anything about the length of your life,
Rick Moen                 but you can do something about its width and depth."