[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Tobie Langel tobie at unlockopen.com
Wed Mar 18 07:42:55 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 02:11 Russell Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:

> The fact that "ethical" software has no place at OSI? Well, it doesn't. If
> it did, then she would have been elected.

With all due respect, I really feel like this is the wrong framing. If the
OSI wants to be representative of the open source community—which it must
if it wants to be legitimate—it can’t just ignore a concern that’s become
mainstream* among open source practitioners. Note I’m not saying: “change
the OSD to allow ethical licenses,” I’m saying “work hand in hand to
account for the concerns of the broader community to find reasonable
solutions that meet those concerns.”

—tobie

—-
* For scale, the twitter poll I ran earlier this year from my personal
account had more respondents in favor of a Hippocratic-like license than
there are OSI members (and roughly twice as more than OSI members that
voted).