[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Gil Yehuda gyehuda at verizonmedia.com
Tue Mar 17 22:47:24 UTC 2020

I would caution overanalyzing the voter data given the method in which
voting take place. A vote for a candidate may be given for many reasons.
Candidates addressed more than one issue in their wiki.

Moreover, the system is set up so that voters neglect to vote for people
they don't want to see seated. (You could vote for everyone, or remove
those you don't want from your ballot.) This double negative setup is less
familiar than the more common vote for the person or people you do want.
But seeing it that way suggests that 256 of the 338 voters (about 75%) did
not want an outcome with Coraline getting a seat and 302 voters (about 90%)
did not want an outcome where Tobie got a seat. I don't know how to combine
those two into a sentiment for the Ethical Source conversation since I
don't see data about who voted for either or both, or if a vote for either
is the same as a vote for this one issue.

Note: the goal was not to get 100% popularity -- even the top candidate had
33% of the voters not vote for him. The goal is to be of the top two such
that the most people are ok with you getting a seat. Given that a voter
could cast between 0 and 15 names, sentiment is hard to measure.

Clearly though, some people want a conversation about this, and others
don't. Given this is a conversation list, we're having a conversation.

Gil Yehuda: I help with external technology engagement